We are looking for an experienced chalet couple (Chalet host/chef) to join our team in Bansko, Bulgaria to run one of our catered chalets.
Bansko is regularly voted the best value ski resort in Europe and it attracts families and groups of friends, usually beginner to intermediate abilities. In resort prices are much lower than other European resorts, with a 2 course meal including wine costing less than £15. A beer or hot chocolate on the slopes is less than £2.50.
Unlike purpose built ski resorts, Bansko is a charming town with plenty of history. The town and the mountain are World Heritage Sites, protected by UNESCO. Bansko has the best snow record in Bulgaria and the winter season runs from Mid-December to Mid-April. With north facing slopes and 80% snow making coverage, Bansko attracts skiers and snowboarders of all abilities. but is particularly suited to beginners and intermediates.
There is also lots of easily accessible off-piste for the more adventurous.
Previous experience of the hospitality industry is essential and applicants who have run a catered chalet before are strongly preferred. One of you should be experienced enough to cook healthy and wholesome food to a very high standard for large groups of guests, following our menu plan and adding your own flair to the dishes. A keenness to provide a fabulous skiing holiday experience for our guests and maintain our outstanding reputation for customer service is essential. The ability to problem solve, work well under pressure and be autonomous are also essential qualities.
Chalet Chef /Host Duties:
We provide an intensive two week training course in resort, and hosts are responsible for managing all aspects of the day to day running of the chalet. This will also include managing a weekly shopping budget, liaising with the local rental centre for hire and lessons, collecting and distributing pre-ordered ski passes, creating a warm, clean and welcoming environment and preparing and serving breakfast, afternoon tea (cake) and evening meals for the guests 6 days a week. You will have 1 full day off each week.
- Organise and deliver an informative welcome speech, ensuring that all sales for ski packs and après ski activities are maximised to achieve and wherever possible exceed targets set
- Represent Total Chalets at the ski rental shop assisting our guests with ski fit on their arrival
- Collection and distribution of pre-ordered ski passes
- Follow an agreed upon weekly menu (catering for different dietary needs) and cook and serve breakfast, afternoon tea and 3 course dinner on 6 days
- Manage stock levels, food rotation, shopping lists and weekly budget
- Responsible for driving the guests to and from slopes in our dedicated minibuses
- Keep all areas of the chalet clean and tidy each day
- Assist an external cleaner on changeover day (Saturday)
- Maintain excellent standards of food hygiene and personal cleanliness
- Basic chalet maintenance day to day
- Build a rapport with the guests and positively add to their overall holiday experience
- Take weekly photos for our social media – food served, the snow, chalet photos etc
We look forward to hearing from you!
For detailed benefits package, see below...
- Chalet host/chef experience or similar
- Cooking and presentation of meals to a high standard for large groups (maximum 14 people)
- Very strong customer service skills and a good sense of humour
- Domestic experience (running a home, cleaning etc)
- Strong organisational skills and willingness to work as part of a small team
- Hard working, self-driven and can-do attitude
- Confidence in driving in snowy conditions (though training is provided)
We are a small and personal company to work for and we want our staff to enjoy their time in Bansko as much as possible. Our staff typically live off the tips and save up their salary for end of season travelling.
- Fantastic private accommodation within easy walking distance of the chalet
- Bansko season ski pass with queue jump (or money equivalent if you prefer)
- Competitive salary paid in local currency in resort
- Huge commission opportunities
- Mountain emergency insurance
- Free board/ski hire for the season and storage
- Travel to and from the resort (UK to BG flights and transfers between Sofia and Bansko)
- Breakfast and dinner on days you are working
- Free use of sauna, steam and pool at nearby hotel
- Generous bonus scheme for those that exceed expectations, based on achievements and reviews
- Discounts at some of the local bars/clubs