Purple Ski and Purple Summer Overview
Purple Ski provides luxury catered chalet holidays in Méribel, and Val d'Isère, France. We operate truly exceptional chalets which can accommodate between 8 and 14 people, so that we can focus on providing a very high quality and individual service.
With 30 years of experience under our belts, we know that our staff play a vital role in the success of our company, so we are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working and professional people to join us and help maintain and build on our excellent standards and reputation.
We take pride not only in making sure that our guests have the best possible skiing holiday, but also on being a great company to work for. We hand-pick our team based on skills, experience and a great attitude, and we do expect the highest standards of work.
Our record as an excellent employer is evident by our very high staff retention rates during each season (staff seldom leave us mid-season) and the large number of returning staff each season.
Purple Summer offers a small, exclusive selection of some of the finest luxury villas available to rent in the French Côte d’Azur and the Spanish islands of Mallorca and Ibiza.
Our aim is to ensure that our guests have the perfect luxury summer holiday, whether they choose to spend it by the private swimming pool, enjoying exquisite canapés and champagne al fresco, or exploring the local beaches and historic market towns.
The main purpose of this dynamic role is to oversee the entire operation of Purple Ski & Purple Summer, working closely with Resort Managers and head office teams. This person is responsible for ensuring that day to day operations are carried out smoothly and every detail has been planned out and executed at a high level. This role involves a high level of dedication and organisation, great communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to be flexible.
Previous Experience and skills
Must speak English and French at least, and able to write perfectly in one or both of those languages (Spanish highly desired)
Job holder must be highly organised, efficient, resourceful and able to work alone as well as part of a team.
Job holder must possess good judgement, be determined / tenacious in meeting her/his objectives and have excellent communication skills
Previous winter season experience at a high level such as Resort Manager or higher is essential
People management experience in a chalet/villa, hospitality or catering environment
Confident driver in winter conditions, and held a full and clean driving for a minimum of 5 years
Transport (in conjunction with Resort Managers and Head Office)
1) Ensures all vehicles are maintained and serviced regularly and kept in a good state of repair:
reviews weekly checklists, organises mid-season bodywork repairs, sorting mechanical
issues, arranging annual servicing and control techniques as required
2) Manages claim procedure for accidents (helps drivers fill in “constat amiable forms, notifies
insurance company, arranges repair). Decides whether or not to claim on insurance for incidents where no 3rd party involved.
3) Organises driver medicals and driver specific training by 3rd party
4) Orders vehicle related supplies (Purple Ski stickering, snow chains, AdBlue, diesel antifreeze
1) Is the overall manager of staff:
a) Assists in the definition of job roles, job descriptions and placement of staff as well as overseeing and assisting with recruitment
2) Directly manages and supports Customer Services Manager, Admin Assistant and Supplies Manager, Resort Managers, answering questions etc as needed.
3) Oversees the management of staff accommodation, including
a) assigns staff to accommodation in accordance with their preferences
b) monitors and keeps register of staff guests during the season, deals with any noise/nuisance issues, performs regular housekeeping checks (by photo)
c) deals with any maintenance and repairs to staff accommodation (minimal)
d) at end of season, checks cleaning and state of repair, hands back to owner(s)
4) Arranges lift passes, ski hire (including all liaison with staff re wishes/requirements) with Resort Managers.
5)Provides support to staff to arrange medical appointments and prefecture visits to complete visa requirements (UK visa employees).
6) Provide support for staff medical insurance (ongoing admin done by Admin assistant). During the season, deals with any injuries, serious illnesses (e.g., taking staff to hospital, helping get the right/ best treatment etc), supporting re bereavement etc., “in loco-parentis”
7) Plans and leads start of season training and chalet/villa set-up with Resort Managers
8) Provides ongoing support to Resort Managers with team management during the season:
a) Oversees January “one to one” reviews (together with Chalet Staff Manager and Lead Driver as applicable) with all staff members to see how things are going, actions any issues raised RM
b) Oversees the preparation of periodic staff memos (news, updates, alerts for the whole team)
c) Deals with any disciplinary issues or grievances and any dismissals (these are rare)
d) Supports in dealing with significant performance related issues (these are mostly dealt with by Resort Managers with assistance from Chalet Staff Manager, Lead Driver and Lead Chef)
e) Oversees all-staff mid and end of season get-togethers (also helps with staff Christmas and other on occasion) and special recognition events (thanks for pre-season team, chef’s end of season dinner etc)
9) Prepares formal end of season performance appraisals (obtaining inputs from other senior staff members), determines bonus with Resort Managers (where applicable).
10) Conducts exit meetings with each departing staff member with Resort Managers (including discussion of performance bonus, also season review and obtaining improvement suggestions)
11) Manages payroll and timesheets monthly:
a) calculates amounts due /prepares timesheets and instructs payroll team
Chalets & Villas
1) Oversee management all maintenance and repairs during the season involving 3rd party providers (electricians, plumbers, white goods repairs, flooring etc), also annual chimney sweeping and fire extinguisher maintenance, snow clearing
2) Oversees the occasional chalet/villa housekeeping and hygiene inspections done by Resort Manager/staff manager
3) Signs off on the closedown chalets/villas for interseason
4) Oversees / manages interseason maintenance including
a) preparing lists of work to be done,
b) obtaining quotes an, obtaining owner approval,
c) managing contractors
d) Sources miscellaneous chalet/villa supplies for repairs (e.g., soft furnishings, lampshades etc)
5) Holds keys during interseason and deals with access requirements as required
Purchasing: Supplies and Services (in conjunction with Resort Managers)
1) Contracts for all supplies and services and manages all supplier relationships except banking,
accounting and technological areas
a) Utilities and firewood
d) Wine and champagne
e) All food suppliers (supermarkets, meat, cheese, dairy, F&V, patisserie, dry goods etc)
g) Lift companies (with concierge/sales team)
h) Ski schools (with concierge/sales team)
i) Childcare providers (with concierge/sales team)
j) Taxi companies (with concierge/sales team)
k) Telephone and internet
l) Mobile telephones and wi-fi
2) Sources and buys one-off consumables for new season (e.g., Xmas stuff, UK food stuffs, chalet/villa equipment, linen, crockery, gifts, toiletries & slippers, “wow factor”, staff uniforms). Arranges shipping (including boxing up, inventorying, labelling etc). For certain items, monitors stocks, arranges top up orders as required
3) Monitors utilities usage across all properties, deals with any issues, orders / re-orders firewood, oil and gas as required with Resort Managers and Supplies Manager.
Financial and administrative
1) Manages the annual planning and review processes:
a) Prepares the annual budget, leads in spending decisions (except sales & marketing, IT). Also prepares and maintains budget revisions (reflecting actual sales and occupancy and major actual expenditures)
b) Prepares the annual competitor analysis and school holidays studies, uses these to support review of product and pricing
2) Monitors spend in all areas, identifies overspend issues and acts to control/resolve where possible
3) Checks over massage invoicing for correctness and payment receipts with Resort Manager
This position involves travel throughout the year to destinations commercialised by Purple Ski/Summer.