Alpine Elements Ltd is a medium sized tour operator specialising in ski and summer beach & alpine activity holidays operating throughout France, Greece and St. Anton, Austria, with their sister company iGO SKi offering short ski breaks. We employ up to 450 overseas, seasonal staff, in addition to a permanent head office team, working all year round to deliver the best product for our clients and support for our employees.
In the exciting role of Area Manager you will manage a range of chalet resorts. You will focus on the delivery of our products to exceed our customers’ expectations, improve operational efficiencies and deliver results against a set of realistic but challenging KPI’s. Experienced within the ski chalet industry and familiar with the challenges of all aspects of property management and logistics, you will train, coach and manage our team of property chalet managers, hosts, resort reps and support staff to deliver against demanding targets. You will need to have a proven track record in delivering KPI’s within a hospitality/ chalet/ catering environment in; food, linen, wine and cleaning product expenditure.
To be successful in this role you will be a Chalets Ambassador, forging strong relationships with Chalet owners, Chalet Hosts and Support Staff, UK and French office teams and our guests, to deliver and develop our amazing ski chalet holiday programme.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Identify, develop and implement new revenue streams within your resorts
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Chalet owners and suppliers
- Schedule a timely hand over of all properties from owners at the start and end of season ensuring an accurate inventory detailing any utilities meter readings, damages and breakages, missing inventory items, are completed for each property
- Distribute at start of season and collect back at end of season; all property signs, notice/information boards, end of season reports/property files, health and safety and Fire Safety equipment, property equipment, soft furnishings and electrical goods, ensuring that all CAPEX item requests are submitted, authorised, purchased and in place prior to start of season and returned to company storage facilities at the end of season in good working order
- Distribute and discuss with Chalet Staff the End of Season Reports for their properties, ensuring these are updated and collected back at end of season (in both hardcopy and digital format) with the objective of ensuring improved start of season set up and operational efficiencies in subsequent seasons.
- Plan, communicate and manage the property setup schedule for the programme within your resorts
- Meet with all local catering, cleaning and laundry suppliers and confirm the arrangements for orders, deliveries and purchasing to ensure a service that meets the requirements of the business, assisting your team of chalet staff to resolve supplier / quality issues throughout the season and feedback to suppliers on performance and issues at the end of season. Monitor and manage issues raised with suppliers relating to; standards of ingredients / supply issues/ products, back orders and non-deliveries and act decisively to resolve in a timely manner
- Schedule a timely hand over of all Staff accommodation from property owners / agencies at the start of season assigning properties to staff ensuring a record is maintained of any keys/ locks. Pin codes that are issued to each staff member. Maintain an accurate inventory detailing any utilities meter reading and handback at the end of season to ensure all maintenance required is completed pre-handback and that damages & breakages, missing inventory items, are recorded for each property, Meet with all resort staff and deliver staff Objectives including season targets & KPIs and ensure all paperwork is returned to the UK HR department
- Assist with the planning, development and delivery of the pre-season training course, E-Learning as well as the Alpine Academy development training materials and support the UK HR team with the monitoring, delivery of information with regards to pre starters training, on-boarding, resort information and travel / arrival information on the Winter16.17 Staff Facebook Page.
- Deliver against targets for the reduction in cost of:
- Linen, Cleaning Products, Food and Wine
- Manage the weekly submission of consumption stock takes, orders and resort invoices to the finance team to ensure the chalets and hotels catering function is in line with company standards, passenger numbers and budgets and meets all requirements in regard to catering standards, quality and safety
- Monitor all resort expenditure including petty cash, spot checks and immediately querying all unusual account anomalies
- Identify areas to reduce departmental headcount, and reduce working hours whilst improving the quality of the product
- Oversee a cost effective schedule of property maintenance
- Deliver against KPI’s; wine upgrades, GP per head and GP% targets, Price setting, packed lunches and honesty bars within each of your assigned resorts
- Manage, Monitor and support a team of resort reps to maximise Ski pack rentals, helmet sales, insurance, tuition, lift passes and board hire through external suppliers and Management of in house Ski Shops
- Ensure that all HSQs are handed out, completed and returned weekly, meeting set company targets
- Through resort and property visits ensure a strong staff support and customer facing presence. Ensure you and your resort management team interact with customers on a regular basis to receive and escalate direct guest feedback
- Manage Guest problems and exceed KPIs in the reduction of the number of Guest Complaints, ensuring all issues are dealt with on the spot and that all our customers go home happy.
- Produce Health and safety, fire safety, food hygiene reports and audits for each property and ensure the timely purchasing, allocation and distribution of required equipment across your resorts
- Monitor and complete weekly property Audit Reports including a plan of action to address issues including staff movements, KPI scores, budget performance and guest complaints
- Conduct regular Chalet inspections to check the standard of food hygiene and quality of food served in chalets is maintained, property notice boards, weather forecasts, chalet files are up to date, well maintained and clean and the brochure promise is being delivered
- Conduct monthly staff accommodation checks ensuring all staff accommodation inventories are cross referenced with those completed pre-season, detailing any breakages ensuring any damage is replaced/repaired before the hand back with the owner, billed to staff via the UK HR department
- Complete all mid-season and EOS performance reviews and developmental plans and ensure all personnel paperwork is returned to the UK HR department, liaising with the UK HR team to forecast staff losses and ensure all required payroll notifications and paperwork are submitted for your resort, accurately and on time
- Ensure legal compliance of ‘Registre Du Personnel’ (Personnel files), Security, Time sheets and security and that all Catering operations meet French Hygiene Law.
- Provide operational & logistical support and have a customer facing presence at required feeder points or at airports on transfer days
- Meet and greet, ensure induction, orientation, and training is provided for all new or replacement staff that start mid-season, ensuring that all aspects of the appropriate role are covered and that relevant paperwork is completed
- Support the chalet team with training and/or discipline of staff where appropriate, ensuring that all company policies and procedures are adhered to at all times and that all paperwork is completed accurately on time and returned to the UK HR team promptly
- Conduct regular staff accommodation, staff meals, uniform and grooming guideline audits and one to one meetings to ensure staff are being provided with contractual services in line with their terms and conditions of employment and that all staff are conforming to their contractual obligations
- Ensure all staff uniform is collected, washed, dried and returned to the central store
- Ensure all resort bars, ski shops, supplier accounts and invoices have been settled and all paperwork submitted to the overseas finance team before the close down of resort for all staff and submit to the UK HR team End of Season sign off sheets for all staff members for approval of Final Pay.
- Internal: Overseas Director, Overseas Operations Manager, iGOSKi Brand Manager, Sales Director, HR & Recruitment Manager, Resort Staff
- External: Customers, Property owners & managers, Suppliers, local authorities
What we are looking for:
You put the customer and staff at the centre of everything you do!
Your communication Style will be clear and concise and can integrate many opinions to provide the best way forward
You’re great working with people from all walks of life regardless of role or position
Have a proven track record of successfully leading a team with a variety of skills, knowledge and development and training needs
You are flexible and adaptable, resilient to be able to deal with set-backs and have a positive and enthusiastic attitude
You find it natural to provide a collaborative working environment even within large / remote teams
You provide fast problem solving to ensure our guests are minimally inconvenienced
You have a solid commercial and financial understanding and are able to balance these with customer and staff requirements
You will also possess demonstrable successful experience within a previous Operations / Area Manager role, within a main stream UK Tour Operator. You will be conversational / fluent French language skills and be located or willing to be based in France, close to our Regional offices.